Install LineageOS on violetBack to the overview
Do not continue after something fails!
- Read through the instructions at least once before actually following them, so as to avoid any problems due to any missed steps!
- Make sure your computer has
fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
Unlocking the bootloader
- Create a Mi account on Xiaomi’s website. Beware that one account is only allowed to unlock one unique device every 30 days.
- Add a phone number to your Mi account.
- Insert a SIM into your phone.
- Enable developer options in
About Phoneby repeatedly tapping
- Link the device to your Mi account in
Mi Unlock status.
- Download the Mi Unlock app (Windows is required to run the app).
- Run the Mi Unlock app and follow the instructions provided by the app. It may tell you that you have to wait up to 30 days. If it does so, please wait the quoted amount of time before continuing to the next step!
- After device and Mi account are successfully verified, the bootloader should be unlocked.
- Since the device resets completely, you will need to re-enable USB debugging to continue.
Installing a custom recovery using
- Download a custom recovery - you can download one here.
- Connect your device to your PC via USB.
- On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
You can also boot into fastboot mode via a key combination:
- With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power. Keep holding both buttons until the word “FASTBOOT” appears on the screen, then release.
- Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
If you don’t get any output or an error:
Tip: Some devices have buggy USB support while in bootloader mode, if you see
- on Windows: make sure the device appears in the device manager without a triangle. Try other drivers until the command above works!
- on Linux or macOS: If you see
no permissions fastboottry running
fastbootas root. When the output is empty, check your USB cable and port!
fastboothanging with no output when using commands such as
fastboot getvar ...,
fastboot boot ...,
fastboot flash ...you may want to try a different USB port (preferably a USB Type-A 2.0 one) or a USB hub.
- Flash recovery onto your device (replace
<recovery_filename>with the actual filename!):
fastboot flash recovery <recovery_filename>.img
- Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation.
Do not reboot into the existing OS, since it will overwrite the recovery you just installed!
With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Power. Keep holding both buttons until the “MI” logo appears on the screen, then release.Note: If you can’t power down the device, try long-pressing the key-combination (if any was used in the instructions above) until the device reboots and follow the instructions above
Installing LineageOS from recovery
- Build a LineageOS installation package.
- If you are not in recovery, reboot into recovery:
- Now tap Wipe.
- Now tap Format Data and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage.
- Return to the previous menu and tap Advanced Wipe, then select the Cache and System partitions and then Swipe to Wipe.
- Sideload the LineageOS
- On the device, select “Advanced”, “ADB Sideload”, then swipe to begin sideload.
- On the host machine, sideload the package using:
adb sideload filename.zip.Tip: Normally, adb will report
Total xfer: 1.00x, but in some cases, even if the process succeeds the output will stop at 47% and report
adb: failed to read command: Success. In some cases it will report
adb: failed to read command: No erroror
adb: failed to read command: Undefined error: 0which is also fine.
(Optionally): If you want to install any add-ons, repeat the sideload steps above for those packages in sequence.Note: If you want the Google Apps add-on on your device, you must follow this step before booting into LineageOS for the first time!
- (Optionally): Root your device by installing LineageOS’ AddonSU, (use the
arm64package) or by using any other method you prefer.
- Once you have installed everything successfully, run ‘adb reboot’.