Install LineageOS on
LG G4 (International)
Do not continue after something fails!
- Read through the instructions at least once before actually following them, so as to avoid any problems due to any missed steps!
- Make sure your computer has
fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- Boot your device with the stock OS at least once and check every functionality.
Warning: Make sure that you can send and receive SMS and place and receive calls (also via WiFi and LTE, if available), otherwise it won’t work on LineageOS either! Additionally, some devices require that VoLTE/VoWiFi be utilized once on stock to provision IMS.
- LineageOS is provided as-is with no warranty. While we attempt to verify everything works you are installing this at your own risk!
Unlocking the bootloader
Installing a custom recovery using
- Download a custom recovery - you can download TWRP. Simply download the latest recovery file, named something like
twrp-x.x.x-x-h815.imgand rename it to
recovery.img.Important: Other recoveries may not work for installation or updates. We strongly recommend to use the one linked above!
- Connect your device to your PC via USB if it isn’t already.
- If your device isn’t already in fastboot mode, on the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
You can also boot into fastboot mode via a key combination:
- With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Power.
- Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
If you don’t get any output or an error:
Tip: Some devices have buggy USB support while in bootloader mode, if you see
- on Windows: make sure the device appears in the device manager without a triangle. Try other drivers until the command above works!
- on Linux or macOS: If you see
no permissions fastboottry running
fastbootas root. When the output is empty, check your USB cable and port!
fastboothanging with no output when using commands such as
fastboot getvar ...,
fastboot boot ...,
fastboot flash ...you may want to try a different USB port (preferably a USB Type-A 2.0 one) or a USB hub.
- Flash recovery onto your device:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation.
Do not reboot into the existing OS, since it will overwrite the recovery you just installed!
With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power until the LG logo appears, then release Power for a second and hold it again until the recovery comes up.Note: If you can’t power down the device, try long-pressing the key-combination (if any was used in the instructions above) until the device reboots and follow the instructions above
Installing LineageOS from recovery
- Build a LineageOS installation package.
- If you are not in recovery, reboot into recovery:
Note: Accept the factory reset prompt using the hardware buttons. If you have done everything correctly, this will not actually reset your device but instead will boot the custom recovery.
- Now tap Wipe.
- Now tap Format Data and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage.
- Return to the previous menu and tap Advanced Wipe, then select the Cache and System partitions and then Swipe to Wipe.
- Sideload the LineageOS
- On the device, select “Advanced”, “ADB Sideload”, then swipe to begin sideload.
- On the host machine, sideload the package using:
adb sideload filename.zip.Tip: Normally, adb will report
Total xfer: 1.00x, but in some cases, even if the process succeeds the output will stop at 47% and report
adb: failed to read command: Success. In some cases it will report
adb: failed to read command: No erroror
adb: failed to read command: Undefined error: 0which is also fine.
- Repeat the sideload steps above for all desired packages in sequence.
Once you have installed everything successfully, you can now reboot your device into the OS for the first time!