Install LineageOS on X00PBack to the overview
Do not continue after something fails!
- Read through the instructions at least once before actually following them, so as to avoid any problems due to any missed steps!
- Make sure your computer has
fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
Unlocking the bootloader
Download the bootloader unlock app for your device:
- Navigate to ASUS’ support site and go to your device’s page by entering its model number.
- Click Driver & Tools.
- Select Android from the drop-down menu.
- Open the Utilities section.
- Download the Unlock Device App.
- If the downloaded file is packaged in a
.ziparchive, extract it.
- Connect the device to your PC via USB.
- On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window and change to the location where the Unlock Device App
- Install the
adb install Name_of_unlock_app.apk
- For example, on the ZE551ML device, it would be
adb install UnlockApp_ze551ml_20150723.apk.
- For example, on the ZE551ML device, it would be
Run the application Unlock Device Tool from the device and agree to the terms.Note: After you agree to the terms, the ASUS unlock app might ask you to login with your Google account. If your password does not work, then you need to enable temporary access for less secure apps here. If you have two-factor authentication enabled on your Google account, you will have to generate an individual app password on the Google accounts settings website, as the unlock app does not natively support two-factor.
- Press the button to unlock your device.
- The device should automatically reboot into bootloader mode and the message
unlock successfully...reboot after 5 secondsshould be displayed. The device will then reboot and load Android.
Installing a custom recovery using
- Download Lineage Recovery. Simply download the latest recovery file, named something like
- Connect your device to your PC via USB.
- On the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
You can also boot into fastboot mode via a key combination:
- With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Power. Keep holding both buttons until the word “FASTBOOT” appears on the screen, then release.
- Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
If you don’t get any output or an error:
Tip: Some devices have buggy USB support while in bootloader mode, if you see
- on Windows: make sure the device appears in the device manager without a triangle. Try other drivers until the command above works!
- on Linux or macOS: If you see
no permissions fastboottry running
fastbootas root. When the output is empty, check your USB cable and port!
fastboothanging with no output when using commands such as
fastboot getvar ...,
fastboot boot ...,
fastboot flash ...you may want to try a different USB port (preferably a USB Type-A 2.0 one) or a USB hub.
- Flash recovery onto your device (replace
<recovery_filename>with the actual filename!):
fastboot flash recovery <recovery_filename>.img
- Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation.
Do not reboot into the existing OS, since it will overwrite the recovery you just installed!
With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power. Keep holding both buttons until the “ASUS” logo appears on the screen, then release.Note: If you can’t power down the device, try long-pressing the key-combination (if any was used in the instructions above) until the device reboots and follow the instructions above
Installing LineageOS from recovery
- Download the LineageOS installation package that you would like to install or build the package yourself.
- If you are not in recovery, reboot into recovery:
- Now tap Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage, as well as format your cache partition (if you have one).
- Return to the main menu.
- Sideload the LineageOS
- On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
- On the host machine, sideload the package using:
adb sideload filename.zip.Tip: Normally, adb will report
Total xfer: 1.00x, but in some cases, even if the process succeeds the output will stop at 47% and report
adb: failed to read command: Success. In some cases it will report
adb: failed to read command: No erroror
adb: failed to read command: Undefined error: 0which is also fine.
(Optionally): If you want to install any add-ons, repeat the sideload steps above for those packages in sequence.Note: Add-ons aren’t signed with LineageOS’s official key, and therefore when they are sideloaded, Lineage Recovery will present a screen that says
Signature verification failed, this is expected, please click
Continue.Note: If you want the Google Apps add-on on your device, you must follow this step before booting into LineageOS for the first time!
- Once you have installed everything successfully, click the back arrow in the top left of the screen, then “Reboot system now”.