Install LineageOS on
Do not continue after something fails!
- Read through the instructions at least once before actually following them, so as to avoid any problems due to any missed steps!
- Make sure your computer has
fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
- Enable USB debugging on your device.
- Make sure that your model is actually listed in the “Supported models” section here (exact match required!)
- Boot your device with the stock OS at least once and check every functionality.
Warning: Make sure that you can send and receive SMS and place and receive calls (also via WiFi and LTE, if available), otherwise it won’t work on LineageOS either! Additionally, some devices require that VoLTE/VoWiFi be utilized once on stock to provision IMS.
- LineageOS is provided as-is with no warranty. While we attempt to verify everything works you are installing this at your own risk!
Installing a custom recovery using
- Download Lineage Recovery. Simply download the latest recovery file, named
recovery.img.Important: Other recoveries may not work for installation or updates. We strongly recommend to use the one linked above!
- Connect your device to your PC via USB if it isn’t already.
- If your device isn’t already in fastboot mode, on the computer, open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type:
adb reboot bootloader
You can also boot into fastboot mode via a key combination:
- With the device powered off, hold Volume Down + Power. Release when boot logo appears.
- Once the device is in fastboot mode, verify your PC finds it by typing:
If you don’t get any output or an error:
Tip: Some devices have buggy USB support while in bootloader mode, if you see
- on Windows: make sure the device appears in the device manager without a triangle. Try other drivers until the command above works!
- on Linux or macOS: If you see
no permissions fastboottry running
fastbootas root. When the output is empty, check your USB cable and port!
fastboothanging with no output when using commands such as
fastboot getvar ...,
fastboot boot ...,
fastboot flash ...you may want to try a different USB port (preferably a USB Type-A 2.0 one) or a USB hub.
- Flash recovery onto your device:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Now reboot into recovery to verify the installation.
Do not reboot into the existing OS, since it will overwrite the recovery you just installed!
Note: If your recovery does not show the LineageOS logo , you accidentally booted into the wrong recovery. Please start at the top of this section!
With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Power. Release when boot logo appears.Note: If you can’t power down the device, try long-pressing the key-combination (if any was used in the instructions above) until the device reboots and follow the instructions above
Installing LineageOS from recovery
- Download the LineageOS installation package that you would like to install or build the package yourself.
- If you are not in recovery, reboot into recovery:
- With the device powered off, hold Volume Up + Power. Release when boot logo appears.
- Now tap Factory Reset, then Format data / factory reset and continue with the formatting process. This will remove encryption and delete all files stored in the internal storage, as well as format your cache partition (if you have one).
- Return to the main menu.
- Sideload the LineageOS
.zippackage but do not reboot before you read/followed the rest of the instructions!
- On the device, select “Apply Update”, then “Apply from ADB” to begin sideload.
- On the host machine, sideload the package using:
adb sideload filename.zip.Tip: Normally, adb will report
Total xfer: 1.00x, but in some cases, even if the process succeeds the output will stop at 47% and report
adb: failed to read command: Success. In some cases it will report
adb: failed to read command: No erroror
adb: failed to read command: Undefined error: 0which is also fine.
Signature verification failed, this is expected, please click
- Repeat the sideload steps above for all desired packages in sequence.
Once you have installed everything successfully, you can now reboot your device into the OS for the first time!
- Click the back arrow in the top left of the screen, then “Reboot system now”.