Upgrade LineageOS on AmberBack to the overview
Important: Please read through the instructions at least once completely before actually following them to avoid any problems because you missed something!
Warning: These instructions only apply to version upgrades. If you wish to downgrade to an earlier version of LineageOS, follow your device’s instructions for installing LineageOS the first time.
Manually upgrading LineageOS
The updater app does not support upgrades from one version of LineageOS to another, and will block installation to any update for a different version. Upgrading manually requires similar steps to installing LineageOS for the first time.
- Build a LineageOS install package.
- Make sure your computer has working
adb. Setup instructions can be found here.
- Additionally if you are on LineageOS 16.0 or below, enable USB debugging on your device. Open Settings, then “System”, then “Developer Options”, then select “Root Access Options”, and finally “ADB Only”. Now, run
adb reboot sideload.Important: The device may reboot to a blank black screen, fear not, this is a known bug on some recoveries, proceed with the instructions.
adb sideload /path/to/zip(inserting the path to your LineageOS package).
- (Optionally): If you want to install any add-ons, click
Reboot to Recovery, then when your device reboots, click
Apply Update, then
Apply from ADB, then
adb sideload /path/to/zipthose packages in sequence.Note: If you previously had any Google Apps add-on package installed on your device, you must install an updated package before the first boot of Android! If you did not have Google Apps installed, you must wipe the Data partition (or perform a factory reset) to install them.
- Once you have installed everything successfully, click the back arrow in the top left of the screen, then “Reboot system now”.
Warning: Depending on which recovery you use, you may be prompted to install additional apps and services. We strongly advise you to opt out of installing these, as they may cause your device to bootloop, as well as attempt to access or corrupt your data.